The steps are:
1. Explain- provide a description,explanation, or example of the new term.
2. Restate- ask students to restate the description, explanation, or example in their own words.
3. Show or Draw- Ask students to construct a picture, pictograph, or symbolic representation of the word.
4. Engage- Have students do activities that add to their knowledge of the term in a vocabulary notebook.
5. Discuss- Periodically have students discuss the term with one another.
6. Involve- Periodically have students involved in games that enable them to play with the terms.
I know with teaching the NEW Common Core I need to step up my vocabulary lessons and using Marzano's 6-Step Process will help. Our team decided to put together a vocabulary booklet for our kiddos to work in. We will print the cover on colored card stock (but I included a colored version too) and then bind about 30 of the new word pages together to create a book for each child. If you'd like a copy of our book just click on the picture below.
We also learned some fun games to play with the words. One teacher suggested doing a 'Bug Swat' game with the words. So I found some cute graphics and put it together. You write the vocabulary words with a visa-visa pen so you can reuse them. Click on the picture if you'd like a copy.
I also found this book on Amazon.com by Marzano with more games in it.
Have a great day!