Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year and Math Freebies

Happy New Year everyone! It's hard to believe it's 2012. What's even harder to believe is that my vacation is over. It's been so relaxing! But I'm a little excited to see all my little cuties. I'm sure they will be high as kites.
I've been working on a few things and here is a freebie for all who could use it.
My kiddos absolutely love the bump game. So here's one for them using subtraction. We need a lot of work with subtraction. I use 2 number cubes. A larger one in size is numbered 7-12, the other smaller 1-6. They roll, then subtract the larger number from the smaller one. They find the number on the game board and cover it with a cube. They take turns with a partner. If the partner rolls the same answer they can BUMP the other person's cube off and replace it with theirs. If you roll the same answer and you already have a cube there, you snap a second cube on top and claim the spot so your partner can't bump you off. Play until all the numbers are claimed. The player with the most numbers claimed wins.
Click on the picture to grab a copy. The graphics are from Scrappin Doodles!

The second freebie is a money sort mat. We are diving in to work on money so I made a sorting mat. The kiddos grab a hand full of coins (fake of course) and sort them. I am going to have them graph the coins as well but I've still got to make that recording sheet. Click on the picture for a download.

I also made another fun money game I found on pinterest. It's like the game BANG if you've ever played that. I hot glued my fake coins onto craft sticks. I did about 20 of them. Then I glued a button on 4 more sticks. I put them in a soup can with a little label on it. The firsties take turns pulling a stick out of the can and telling what the coin is and how much it is worth. If they pull out the button BANG! all of their sticks go back in the can. The first person to get 5 sticks without a BANG wins.
Well, I hope you've found something you can use in your classroom. And I hope everyone has an awesome school day tomorrow!

15 comments:

Shelley said...

Thanks so much for these! My kids will love the new BUMP. When I go to download them, they are .pub files. I don't know what those are and neither does my computer, so they won't open. Any ideas?

Delighted said...

I continue to love your blog!!! The freebies look really cute, but I don't have a program to open them. What program do I need? I absolutely love the money game. I will making that this week. Thanks!

First Grade Delight
imgoingfirst@gmail.com

Sheree Peterson said...

It's fixed! Sorry ladies, I've got a new program and I'm still getting used to it.

Shelley said...

No worries, thanks again!! :)

Shelley said...

PS - Thanks for including more than one type of back for the coins. Whoever decided to make our money all different did not teach first grade!!

Kristin said...

Super cute games! Thanks for sharing!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Rachel said...

Thank you so much!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, these are great!
TheResource(ful)Room!

Jennifer said...

These are super!! Thanks for sharing!
Jennifer
The First Grade Dream

Barbara said...

These are great games. Thank you VERY much!

Barbara
Grade ONEderful

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas!

Marybeth
http://cialinichat-mbcialini.blogspot.com/

Tammy said...

The games are so cute thank you for sharing.
Tammy

Amanda said...

Love the money bang game idea!! Such a great way to reinforce the names and values of coins. I am totally stealing this idea :)

I gave you a shout out on my blog, thanking you for the award! Thanks again!

Amanda
First Grade Garden

Heather's Heart said...

I am so sorry...you have visited me! Thank you for coming by! I am in the zone at times and have too many blogs on my brain! I promise I will visit you more! =)

Heather
Heather'sHeart

PatrĂ­ciaSoares said...

I'm a Portuguese teacher of English and sometimes I surf the net looking for new ideas. Today I came across our blog and simple loved it!!! I'm going to use some of your ideas and I'm most certain my kids will enjoy them! Thanks for sharing!
All the best,