Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Who Am I?

I don't know about your kiddos but mine LOVE pictures of their teacher especially when the teacher was a kid like them. I guess it helps them connect to you. I'm not that keen about flashing my mug shots around but if it pleases and helps my kids feel connected I'll do it.

One of my favorite things to do on the first day of school is introduce myself to my little darlings. To do so, I read a book about myself that I wrote. It's a very simple little book that I made on the computer in word before I knew anything about publisher. I uploaded some pictures and added some text. I bound it with the plastic comb binder. It's pretty 'Mickey Mouse' but my kiddos love it. It's an easy enough text that most of my firsties can read it. Their favorite part is the picture of me when I was in first grade. It's the one on the cover page. Here's a few of the pages from my book. It's about 12 pages long.
I leave it in our class library for most of the year. I love to refer to it when I'm teaching about writing and becoming authors. It's also my springboard for autobiographies and biographies.

We also play a little game on the first day after we read this fun book.
The game is called, 'Don't Eat Mrs. Peterson'!
Again, I made this on the computer by uploading some of my 'YOUTHFUL' pictures.
It's a fun one to play on the first day. I put the kids in groups of 3-4. They place a small candy like Skittles or M&Ms on every square. Then one player turns around and covers his eyes while the rest of the group chooses a square to be 'IT'. Then he turns around and starts taking the candy pieces off each of the squares. When he touches the candy on the square that is 'it', the other players yell "Don't Eat Mrs. Peterson". Then his turn is over. He gets to keep all the candies he earned. Players take turns. I let my kids play for a certain amount of time. They LOVE it!


What do you do to introduce yourself to your class?
I'd love to hear about it.


P.S. Don't forget you can now follow me on facebook by clicking HERE

9 comments:

Tammy said...

Both ideas are so much fun, and I'm sure they love reading your book throughout the year! You could even do sequels. :)
❀ Tammy
Forever in First

Camille said...

Love your ideas! I plan to use both in August. One change, instead of candy, I will use beads or some such - no candy allowed in my district. (But, don't feel sorry for my kiddos - we still have lots of fun!)
Camille

Mrs. Anderson said...

I love your book. I'm sure your students do too!!
Connie Anderson:)
www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

Chrissy said...

Those are such cute ideas! I've thought of making a book about myself but have never done it. This was the inspiration I needed. I love how you've made it simple enough for the kids to read too. And the game sounds like something the kids would never forget!
Chrissy
First Grade Found Me

Taryn Ryan said...

I love your book! You've inspired me to create one of my own! Your "Don't Eat the Teacher" game is so cute, too. :) Thanks for the great ideas!

Learning with Mrs. Brinn said...

What fun! Don't Eat the Teacher would be an exciting game for them to play. I've made a book too... I haven't used it in a couple of years. I need to make an updated one... I think you just inspired me! They love seeing and relating to their teacher. Your pictures are adorable!

Gwen

Unknown said...

Such a good idea!

Marybeth
Cialinichat

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

Cute and clever :))

Grade ONEderful
Ruby Slippers Blog Designs